If like hundreds, maybe thousands of other people out there you find planning permission a minefield, here are a few tips to get you started…
When planning a rennovation on your home, one of the first things to consider is planning permission. Whether it be a loft conversion, an extension, or even a conservatory there are vital things that need to be considered.
- Planning permission should be granted before any work begins! This is key. If you decide to go ahead without planning permission, your local council can order you to take it down which is a huge waste of time, not to mention money £££
- Consider your neighbours! It is important to consider what effect the propsed change will have on your neighbours. Once an application has been submitted, the council will contact your neighbours for their views on the work you are proposing to carry out. Be up front and talk to them. Let them know what you are planning on doing. This way, any objections or concerns will be talked about with you, rather than through the council!
- Consider the design! Consult an Architectural Designer … (Chris Collins @ CC Design Consultancy…) They are the experts! Let them know your wants and needs through an initial consultation. They will know what will work best. A good Architectural Designer will not submit plans that arent right.
- Submit your proposal to your local council! Planning permission can typically take up to 8 weeks so be prepared to wait!
- The verdict! Permission will either be granted, or refused. The results 0f this dictate the next steps. If your plans are refused, you can usually ask the council for advice on any modifactions that can be made to aid approval. You can usually re-submit your plans with modification within 12 months for no extra charge.
Some areas of improvement may fall inside of what is known as ‘Permitted Development’ This means you can make rennovations without the need to apply for planning permission. It is always a good idea to consult an expert to make sure that you are within such rights before work begins.
Dont forget, it doesnt have to be difficult! If you are looking at carrying out any rennovations to your property in the Swadlincote, Ashby, or Burton on Trent area, contact us today on; 07989572519 to arrange a FREE initial consultation!
Keep your eyes out for our next blog with details of what type of rennovation requires permission!
Chris and the team!